Installing this printer is actually quite simple if you know how to do it. It cost me some hours to figure out. The problem with the installer is that whether you choose USB or Network it fails on the step “Connecting device” or the step where you have to plugin the printer using USB. Some things i tried:
- Every possible version of the full solution package
- Running as administrator
- Running in compatibility mode
- Disable firewall and make sure host-name could be resolved.
The solution is to log in as administrator and not “run as” administrator:
- Right-click “Computer” and click “Manage”.
- Open “Local Users and Groups” -> “Users”.
- Double click on “Administrator” and uncheck “Account is disabled” and click OK.
- Right-click “Administrator” and “set password…”
Now log out and log in again with Administrator and run the setup. In my case i had the Compatibility settings set to Vista. Not sure if this is nessecary. Remember to disable the administrator account again if you are done. I have successfully installed the Solution on Windows 8 64bit. I guess this also works for Windows 7.
For printing you can also use the HP Universal Driver for network printing, but if you want to Fax and Scan via network you really need the full solution.